Be an Election Worker!

Election workers are an integral part of our democratic system. Without election workers, we could not hold elections. The hours are long (a 14-hour day at minimum), the pay is modest, but the rewards are great!

Who Can Apply?

  • Registered voters in Artesia city limits
  • Cannot be a candidate or related to any candidate currently on the ballot
  • Cannot be employed by law enforcement
  • Must be mentally and physically able to perform the assigned duties


  • Put patriotism into action and serve our community in an important position of trust
  • Meet and work with interesting people in the community
  • Break out of the everyday routine
  • Earn a little cash!


On Election Day, poll officials must report to City Hall at 6 a.m. and will work until all duties are performed.

Alternate Election Clerk

If a vacancy occurs in advance or on Election Day, the municipal clerk will appoint an alternate election clerk from the standby list to serve on the Election Board. The alternate election clerk will be compensated for being available on Election Day, regardless if they are called or not.


Poll officials must attend a four to eight-hour training session prior to the election to ensure a thorough understanding of the election process, maintaining the integrity of the election, and respective roles as a poll official.


Poll officials are paid for their service. A flat rate is paid to those who work Election Day.

Presiding Judge - $400.00.

Election Clerk- $175.00.

Alternate Election Clerk $25.00 (Must be on call on Election Day).

Online Application

To become a poll official, please complete the online application. Communication to applicants will be through e-mail or mail to schedule skills assessments, coordinate training, and to hire qualified poll officials.

City residents who are 16 or 17 years old, US citizens, and meet all but the first condition above may serve as poll workers. However, they need to contact the City Clerk’s office at (575-746-2122) rather than fill out an application.

Please fill out the form or call the City Clerk's office at (575-746-2122) if you have questions.