The Artesia Municipal Court has established a Court Security Program. The purpose of the program it to establish a safe environment in the courthouse for the judge, court staff, case participants, and the visiting public.
It is the policy of the Artesia Municipal Court that all visitors successfully complete the physical screening process before admittance into the courtroom is allowed.
All items such as bags, purses, and briefcases are subject to being searched for prohibited items. Additionally, all visitors shall pass through the walk-through magnetometer.
Any persons who are unsuccessful in passing through the magnetometer are subject to search with a hand-held metal detector by the court staff.
If you leave the courtroom for any reason, you will be subject to an entire re-search prior to entering the court room again.
(Law enforcement officers are exempt from this process.)
- Defendants should arrive 15 minutes prior to court to complete any necessary paperwork.
- No children are allowed in the court room.If special consideration is required, make court staff aware, and arrangements will be made.
- No cell phones, video games, cameras, recorders or electronic devices.
- No weapons of any kind, or anything that could become a weapon.
- Backpacks are not permitted in the court room.
- Sunglasses will be removed in the courtroom, and placed in pocket or on a chair, not on head or around neck.
- No chewing gum, food, drinks or tobacco products are allowed in the courtroom.
- Talking is not allowed while court is in session, unless you are directly addressed by the Judge or an officer of the court.
- The judge will be addressed as Your Honor, Judge, or Sir.